Friday, January 15, 2010

I miss my iPhone.

My iPhone decided to die on me new year's eve, and I have been feeling a little down about it. From what I can tell through my research the battery burned up. I pulled it out of my pocket to fiddle with it as I always did, and when I turned it on the screen went white and it started to get burning hot, then wouldn't turn on. It continued to get hotter and hotter to the point I thought the battery was going to explode. When it finally cooled down I tried to plug it in, and nothing.

I stopped to think just how much of an impact my iPhone had on my life. That old saying, "you don't know what you have until it is gone" has never struck so close to bulls-eye with me for any posession. I knew the moment I picked up an iPhone for the first time at the AT&T store to see what all the hype was about that I didn't just want one, I needed one. Over time it became like an extension of me, not just a phone or a gadget that I had at my disposal to kill time, but something I just used without much thought like walking, talking, breathing... It was like in Avatar when the Jake of the Jarhead Clan chose his Ikran and it chose him.

I estimate that I used my iPhone for about 8 hours a day on average for the two years I had it, close to a third of my life for the past couple years. The first year usage was about 12 hours a day. That first year I had a job where I had about six hours a day with nothing better to do than play with my iPhone, added to that our computer was in storage at that time and my iPhone was the only way to keep in touch with the friends I made online over the years. The second year I would say average daily usage dropped to about 4 hours a day on average due to the new job and having our computer again.

My most recent obsession was the Brushes app, which is an amazing art app. I was doing a drawing, painting, or at least a sketch every day. Some can be seen on my Flickr account (link to the right), but sadly most are gone forever.

All hope is not lost though! It was the original 4gb iPhone, and it lasted all that time which is amazing considering the amount of use I got out of it. I had planned on getting a new 3GS 16gb iPhone soon anyway. And I have a new appreciation for just how much that little thing can do for me.

No comments: